Athletics (Track & Field)
Athletics encompasses all track and field events: short, middle, and long distance running, relays, shotput, mini-javelin, softball throw, as well as running and standing long jumps. There are levels for every age and ability including wheelchair events.
- Athletes will be divided according to ability for running events; there
are 2-3 coaches for each level. Beginning athletes will learn to stay
within his/her lane and practice a variety of short/middle distances to
- Field events are athlete’s choice, however, softball throw limited to
those athletes throwing a distance of 10 meters or less. Coaches will
demonstrate and teach skills
- Wheelchair events include 25, 50, and 100 meter slaloms, softball
throw and shotput. Both manual and electric wheelchair users may
[tribe_events category=”athletics” view=”list” tribe-bar=”false” date=”today”]
No prior experience necessary.
Athletes should be able to follow directions of coaches/volunteers.
Participation in competition is optional.
- All field event equipment will be supplied.
- Athletes must have proper footwear for running.
Uniforms will be supplied to all athletes participating in competition.
- Participation in two qualifying competitions required to attend state games.
- State games for Athletics held at Towson University in June.
- Volunteers support the coaches at all track and field events; prior track experience helpful, but not necessary.
- Some volunteers may provide one-to-one support for athletes needing additional supports to stay on task.